Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 9, 2024

I, Soldier - part 27

Then we had to do some debate preparation. I and three others were the stand-ins for our opponents. It's impossible to overstate the value of good training. We wouldn't have a lot of control over how the stage was set-up, and given Alexandra's height disadvantage compared to her opponents, it was a struggle to devise countermeasures. There are various factors that put women in a psychological hole compared to men in politics and other arenas where they compete with men for power and status. One factor is vocal pitch; people just naturally trust deeper voices more. It's the reason why narrators in movies always have deep voices. Same goes for the actors portraying the voices of gods and other authority figures. It even works in reverse: give a bad guy a deep voice and now he's a force to be reckoned with. 

I gave Alexandra a list of suggestions. They included: standing up straight, maintaining a neutral facial expression rather than smiling, and being direct in her remarks and responses. I explained that powerful people know their status and use certain behaviors to distinguish themselves from others. Ultimately, there are no true meritocracies, and power is often seized and held by whoever simply wants it the most.  

She wanted to talk a lot about the nuts and bolts of her ideas and policies. My response was that she was better off learning a few good, clean jokes and deploying them at the right moment. It's incredible how many politicians don't seem to know anything about humor and what a great tool it is for being charismatic and persuasive. I had an interesting conversation once with a lawyer in a bar about this. He told me a story of a slip-and-fall case from improperly textured concrete on a hotel's property. He was representing the injured party who was suing the hotel. The hotel hired an engineering expert who tried to wow the jury with various equations to establish his expertise. When it was time to cross examine him, the lawyer pointed to the poster with the equations and said it looked like Greek to him. The expert witness said it was Greek and tried to explain the symbols, but the rest of the courtroom just broke into laughter. He fell right into the lawyer's trap. The lawyer won the case, and the whole outcome turned on a joke anyone could tell in three seconds. 

As part of her debate preparation, I told Alexandra to read the if-by-whiskey speech and write something similar about an issue she cared about. Here is the if-by-whiskey speech:

***
My friends, I had not intended to discuss this controversial subject at this particular time. However, I want you to know that I do not shun controversy. On the contrary, I will take a stand on any issue at any time, regardless of how fraught with controversy it might be. You have asked me how I feel about whiskey. All right, this is how I feel about whiskey:

If when you say whiskey you mean the devil's brew, the poison scourge, the bloody monster, that defiles innocence, dethrones reason, destroys the home, creates misery and poverty, yea, literally takes the bread from the mouths of little children; if you mean the evil drink that topples the Christian man and woman from the pinnacle of righteous, gracious living into the bottomless pit of degradation, and despair, and shame and helplessness, and hopelessness, then certainly I am against it.

But, if when you say whiskey you mean the oil of conversation, the philosophic wine, the ale that is consumed when good fellows get together, that puts a song in their hearts and laughter on their lips, and the warm glow of contentment in their eyes; if you mean Christmas cheer; if you mean the stimulating drink that puts the spring in the old gentleman's step on a frosty, crispy morning; if you mean the drink which enables a man to magnify his joy, and his happiness, and to forget, if only for a little while, life's great tragedies, and heartaches, and sorrows; if you mean that drink, the sale of which pours into our treasuries untold millions of dollars, which are used to provide tender care for our little crippled children, our blind, our deaf, our dumb, our pitiful aged and infirm; to build highways and hospitals and schools, then certainly I am for it.

This is my stand. I will not retreat from it. I will not compromise.
***

She went to the typewriter she gave me and spent a few hours banging out a speech. Here is what she wrote:

***
Politicians are well-known for taking clear and consistent stances and holding firmly to them. I do likewise. The issue I am most passionate about is our military. Let me tell you what I think about it.

If when you speak of our military, you mean the war machine which cost us so much blood and treasure in Vietnam and Korea, the complex which that esteemed former commander Eisenhower warned of and denounced; if you mean the cause by which so many of our young men have been pressed into bondage where many were later killed and crippled; if you mean the tool of imperial folly which has made world peace a pipe dream for so long, then certainly I am against the military.

But, if when you speak of our military, you mean graves of all the heroes in Arlington, or the flag our marines raised on Iwo Jima; if you mean the men who stormed the beaches of Normandy, Tarawa, and a hundred other places, or the gallant charge of Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders up San Juan Hill; if you mean the last stand at the Alamo or desperate winter survival of Washington's army at Valley Forge, then certainly I am absolutely in favor of our military.

These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
***

"Well done, my love. The Groucho Marx quote is a nice touch. You're learning how to talk out of both sides of your mouth."

She turned toward me and gave a salute.

No comments: