Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Thursday, March 7, 2024

I, Soldier - part 17

It was fun stacking all my money on the counter. Made me feel like a big shot. Soon it was all counted and in the vault. Great, one less thing to worry about it. I returned to Alexandra's place.

"OK, my money's in the vault. Next?"

"I can't believe you're still wearing that jacket."

"Meh, it has sentimental value."

"I'll bet. When was the last time you drove a car?"

"About three years ago, I guess. I guess you want me to get a car next."

"Ding, ding, ding! You must be psychic or something."

"You learn to think fast in the jungle. Trust me."

"You must have been the valedictorian of your charm school."

At this, I pretended to move the tassel on an imaginary mortarboard and threw it into the air. 

"I really want to visit Delmar in Amity, Washington. It's a long way to hitchhike though."

"There's this thing called a bus. Just buy a ticket to Portland and take a cab to Amity."

I honestly had not even thought of that. 

"That's actually a very good idea."

"Want to hear another one? Take off that jacket so you don't get accosted by a bunch of smelly, know-nothing hippies."

"I see your point. I have free speech and I'll use it the way I want. Others may do likewise. It's a free country. Do you mind telling me where I can buy a bus ticket?"

"You need to go to Hagerstown for that. It's not too far from here. Want a ride?"

"Yes, please and thank you."

"Just promise me you won't do anything crazy in Hope."

"I'll be on my best behavior."

"You might want to call Barry first."

"I would but all I have is his family's address."

"Side question. Do you have any guns?"

"No, just this knife. It's called a Ka-Bar."

I whipped out that bad boy and watched her eyes grow the size of dinner plates.

"Holy shit. I don't even want to know where that thing's been. Don't take it out again or you might end up being forced to use it."

"Roger, good copy, as they say in the Army."

So it was off to buy the bus ticket. Civilian life was going pretty well. My mood lightened. I was really looking forward to seeing Delmar again. I bought a backpack and packed enough for the trip and what I figured would be a short stay. When it was time to leave, Alexandra gave a ride to the bus station. We hugged and kissed goodbye.

The bus was pretty quiet. Being a stubborn man, I persisted in wearing my Army jacket. Got a few dirty looks. At one stop, a guy spat at my feet and called me a baby killer. I ignored him, because I promised Alexandra I'd be on my best behavior. Other than that one stop, it was a pleasant trip. I got to Portland and took a cab to Hope. I decided to explore on foot for a while instead letting the cab driver take me straight there. After so much sitting, I needed to stretch my legs. It took a while to find Delmar's address, but I did.

I saw an older woman hanging laundry. I figured it was Barry's mom. 

"Hello, ma'am. I went to Officer Candidate School with a man named Barry Delmar. Uh, he gave me this address. Here's a picture of the two of us."

"Barry's not here."

"Oh. But this is right address, right? Do you know when he'll be back?"

"He died of cancer two months ago. All the orange shit they sprayed over there, I bet that's what did it."

You could have knocked me over with a feather at that moment. I was absolutely shocked. Barry was about the healthiest guy I ever met. The idea of him just dropping dead was unthinkable. 

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I had no idea. Sorry to trouble you."

As I turned to leave, she told me to wait and invited me to stay for dinner. I thanked her, but even though I was hungry, I could sense she didn't really want me there. I thanked her kindly and left.

Big. Mistake.

I was definitely hungry, and I had plenty of money. I figured there was a good diner downtown. I hadn't been walking for more than five minutes before a cop pulled alongside me and asked me if I needed a ride. I said I was looking for a place to eat. He said hop in, so I did. 

"We have a nice, quiet, clean town here and we like to keep it that way. Don't take this the wrong way, but you don't look so good. I'm taking you just outside city limits. There's a diner about 40 miles up the road on the way to Portland. You don't have to go home but you can't stay here. Sorry."

Well, at least he's honest and direct, I thought as I stepped out of the car. As I saw him turn around and drive off, I got this weird feeling. I felt compelled to walk back into town. All I wanted was something to eat. It would have taken ten minutes, max. And this shitstain can't leave me alone long enough to eat a fucking cheeseburger? After I spent three years risking my life in Vietnam?! Fuck it, I'm going back.

I turned around and started walking back to Hope. He immediately, turned around, pulled up beside me, and started yelling at me. I ignored him. Finally, he stopped, got out of the car and said I was under arrest. OK, tough guy, you win this round. He gave me a pat down and found my knife.

"Ah ha! Why the hell are you carrying this?"

"I was in Army in Vietnam. That's where I got the knife and the jacket I'm wearing now. The knife is called a Ka-Bar."

"I know what Ka-Bar is, you fucking moron. Well, it's mine now."

And that was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to say.

I guess most people think it's scary to be handcuffs and hauled off to jail in such. It didn't faze me because I had been through much worse. There's not much left to be afraid of once you've a spent a night hanging upside down in a Vietnamese prison and enduring a scopolamine nightmare.  

No comments: