Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Friday, September 15, 2023

Toad and Scorpion

Scorpion asked Toad for a ride across the river. The toad, being a generous but cautious fellow, agreed. 

"But", said Toad "you must promise not to sting me, for if you do, you will prove yourself a scoundrel and we will both drown." 

"I would never do such a thing", Scorpion protested indignantly. Toad narrowed his gaze at Scorpion and paused to think for a moment. 

"Alright, Scorpion. Do a favor for me and I'll do one for you. My friend Ant was recently robbed of his winter food stores by a notoriously lazy grasshopper. Help Ant get his food back and when you succeed, return here. I have some other business to attend to on this side of the river anyway."   

"I accept your proposal and wish you luck in your dealings."

"Likewise. Let's be part ways then. Ta-ta for now." 

So Scorpion scuttled off in search of Ant. Some time later, Scorpion saw an anthill in nearby. There were many ants going to and fro from their nest. A few of the ants stopped what they were doing and turned to face Scorpion.

"Hey you there! What business have we with you?" shouted one of the guard ants.

"Our mutual friend Toad bid me come here so that I might help you recover the food Grasshopper stole", replied Scorpion.

"We ants are mighty and have no fear of Grasshopper. In fact, we ate him. Come into our nest and we will show you the proof."

At this, Scorpion was taken aback and feared a trap. Yet he also knew the ants might attack and eat him anyway if he simply turned and ran. He decided to outwit them. 

"Could you perhaps instead bring some of the proof out of your nest to show me? I fear that if I enter, I might get stuck in one of your tunnels, and that would be awfully bothersome for us both."

"True enough. Go on then and tell Toad what we told you."

So Scorpion returned to the side of the river and did as the Ants said. 

"As you can see, I kept my promise. Please take me across the river."

"I'm afraid not. You see, I knew what you were when I saw you, and since you were foolish enough to return, you will now die."

At that, Weasel ambushed Scorpion and ate him. 

"Thanks for lunch, old chum," said Weasel. 

"You are most welcome. If you're going to be vicious, you'd better have the right friends." 


No comments: