Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 6, 2024

Excerpts from a WW2-era US military manual about China

I have a collection of these I inherited from my maternal grandfather, who served stateside during WW2. I'm not sure whether he collected them as souvenirs or helped make them. He did make illustrations for training manuals during the war, if I remember right.

The manuals are entertaining and informative, even though they're meant for common soldiers who might have only a high school education or less. I like them better than any of the manuals I read when I was in the Army. 

The positive portrayal of the Chinese throughout is interesting for me as a modern reader. They were America's ally at the time. Today, it seems many US politicians and military leaders want war with China or are at least planning for it.

I went to China as a college graduation present to myself. It was a marvelous trip, probably the most fun I've ever had overseas. I have no illusions about the crimes of the Chinese Communist Party. Even so, outside interference and pressure has done more harm than good historically in China. There's a lot to be said for minding your own business. 
















The portion at the end of the manual is a combo of useful info and casual racism. Dehumanization of the enemy is a universal practice in war. 








No comments: