I was not enthusiastic about college. I went because I got a full scholarship and couldn't think of anything better to do. I don't regret going to college, but it made me realize that I did not want to spend any more time in school, though that ended up happening anyway.
My scholarship required that I study science, engineering, or technology. I picked chemical engineering because I liked chemistry in high school and the starting salaries were good. At the time, I wasn't sure if I wanted to get a PhD, so I thought engineering was a practical choice that would let me go to work right away if I wanted. As it turned out, after four years of studying engineering, I wanted to do something completely different for a while. So I joined the Peace Corps because I wanted to travel, learn another language, and have an adventure. That was probably the best decision I ever made.
In order to be a successful engineer, you have to be focused and driven. You have to care a lot about getting the design or process right. If you find the work boring, as I did, engineering will not work out for you as a career. Engineers usually work in teams, so they have to be sociable. If you're an introvert, avoid engineering unless you're really interested in the technology involved.
If I had to live my life over again knowing everything I know now, my life would be about 90% the same. That's a sign I don't have too many regrets and made mostly the right decisions.
No comments:
Post a Comment